Dr. Cano is a Navy veteran and licensed psychologist in the states of Colorado and Hawaii. She is the founder and clinical director of Neurofeedback Colorado Springs. In the Navy, she served with VF-101, a fighter squadron based in Virginia Beach, VA. After leaving the Navy, she returned to Colorado Springs to finish her education. She received her Bachelor’s in Sociology/Criminology from From CSU-Pueblo. In addition, she holds a certificate in Forensic Criminology. Her Master’s and Doctorate are in Clinical Psychology from the University of the Rockies. She spent 3 years (5,000 hours) working with and being trained by a Board Certified Pediatric Neuropsychologist in Colorado Springs. This gave her experience in neuropsychological assessment and rehabilitation of highly complex children and adults, most of whom suffered from an array of DSM diagnoses. This is also where she was introduced to and trained in neurofeedback.
As a retired Navy veteran, she works extensively with the veteran population and their families, advocating for a holistic assessment and treatment approach for our veteran population. Additionally, she serves as the founder and president of the Neuro-Therapy Foundation; a 501c3 created to raise funds for the rehabilitation of PTSD and mTBI through a combination treatment of neurofeedback and psychotherapy.
In This Particular Episode You Will Learn:
- Blair’s background and military experience
- Internal and external stigma against seeking mental health counseling in the veteran and military population
- Need for education about what PTSD is in the veteran population
- The neurological changes that occur with PTSD
- Neuroplasticity and the brain’s ability to adapt and regenerate
- The change in identity of a transitioning service member
- Interventions for PTSD and their effectiveness
- Neurofeedback and Biofeedback explained
- Types of brainwaves and how they impact veteran mental health
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
Blairs guest posts on the Head Space and Timing Blog:
Blair’s Web site: www.canoneuro.info
Want to keep up with all of the Head Space and Timing content? Subscribe Here
Using an app makes subscribing and listening to podcasts (both ours and others) so much simpler. Just subscribe to Head Space and Timing within your app and it will automatically update every time a new episode is released. You can also find all of the podcast players here.
Do you want to check out Duane’s latest book, Combat Vet Don’t Mean Crazy? Check it out by finding it on Amazon.