Pat Williams is a basketball Hall-of-Famer, co-founder of the NBA’s Orlando Magic and former general manager of the Philadelphia 76ers. Also one of America’s top motivational and inspirational corporate speakers, Pat has addressed employees from many of the Fortune 500 companies. Pat is also the author of over 100 books, his most recent title highlighting the leadership secrets of the United States Military Academy at West Point in CHARACTER CARVED IN STONE.
Pat has been the general manager with NBA teams in Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia and Orlando, including the 1983 World Champion 76ers. In 1996, Pat was named as one of the 50 most influential people in NBA history. In 2012, Pat received the John W. Bunn Lifetime Achievement Award from the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame
Pat was diagnosed in February of 2011 with Multiple Myeloma, an incurable form of cancer. However, after several rounds of chemo, Pat’s doctors have told him that they are unable to detect any myeloma in his body and have given him a clean bill of health.
Pat and his wife, Ruth, are the parents of 19 children, including 14 adopted from four nations. Additionally, Pat has been blessed with 17 grandchildren. Pat and his family have been featured on CBS This Morning, Good Morning America, Fox & Friends, and Mike and Mike as well as in such diverse publications as Sports Illustrated, Reader’s Digest, Good Housekeeping, The Wall Street Journal, and Focus on the Family.
In this Episode, you will learn:
- Learning life-long values while in the military
- The genesis of the idea behind the book
- Importance of values in leadership
- The Twelve Virtues
- Value of Compassion – Ulysses S. Grant
- Leadership is about People
- Value of Loyalty – Matt Ridgeway
- Value of Responsibility – Mike Krzyewksi
- Value of Integrity – Eisenhower
- Values preparing us for the time we are called to serve
- Studying leadership – “Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers” – Harry S. Truman
- Reading what interests you
- Preparing a back up plan for the second half of your life
- Value of Determination – Maggie Dixon
- Peter Wang – Heroism On Display
Do you want to help offset some of the costs of the Head Space and Timing Blog and Podcast? Want to show your appreciation and support? You can put some paper in the tip jar by going here or clicking the button below
Want to keep up with the latest Head Space and Timing content? Sign up on Facebook Messenger
You can be sure to find future episodes of Head Space and Timing by subscribing through your Podcast player of choice, like iTunes. Make sure to leave a review…see how hereUsing an app makes subscribing and listening to podcasts (both ours and others) so much simpler. Just subscribe to Head Space and Timing within your app and it will automatically update every time a new episode is released. You can also find all of the podcast players here.Do you want to check out Duane’s latest book, Combat Vet Don’t Mean Crazy: Veteran Mental Health in Post-Military Life? Check it out!