About This Week’s Guest:
One Common Bond was founded by Mrs. Kimberly Franco. She was an Army Soldier serving her 22nd year of service when she lost her brother to suicide. She was not prepared for his death and in an instant, her life was changed forever.
Over the course of the days and months after losing her brother, she was in position to help other families through the pain of losing a loved one to suicide. Kimberly immediately realized that what she learned through the loss of her brother allowed her to be of help to others who were faced with sudden loss.
Kimberly retired early in order to pursue work in the field of suicide prevention full-time. Her faith helped her during this time and she held to the words in Genesis 50:20 about how God can turn what is meant to harm us into something good that helps others.
She founded One Common Bond as a means to connect those with like loss so they could work on their grief journey together.
In this Episode, you will learn:
- Kimberly’s Background and Experience
- Suicide Prevention, Intervention, and Postvention
- Reacting to a suicide in a group or a unit
- Post-suicide response in National Guard and Reserve units
- Community response to suicide prevention
- Raising awareness about suicide in the veteran population
- Preparing for transition out of the military from a cultural aspect
- Resource gaps in different locations
- Duplicate resources balanced with multiplication of specific resources for different populations
- Cross-agency collaboration
- Cost of suicide prevention training mitigated by online training
- One Common Bond
Do you want to help offset some of the costs of the Head Space and Timing Blog and Podcast? Want to show your appreciation and support? You can put some paper in the tip jar by going hereor clicking the button below
Want to keep up with the latest Head Space and Timing content? Sign up on Facebook Messenger
You can be sure to find future episodes of Head Space and Timing by subscribing through your Podcast player of choice, like iTunes. Make sure to leave a review…see how hereUsing an app makes subscribing and listening to podcasts (both ours and others) so much simpler. Just subscribe to Head Space and Timing within your app and it will automatically update every time a new episode is released. You can also find all of the podcast players here.Do you want to check out Duane’s latest book, Combat Vet Don’t Mean Crazy: Veteran Mental Health in Post-Military Life? Check it out!