This is the 8th episode of the Veteran Mental Health Boot Camp, a series of podcasts that is looking at all aspects of Veteran Mental Health. Check out the first episode and all episodes as they’re released by going here
Dr. Aaron James Smith is a United States Marine and Associate Professor at Western Washington University. His focus is on military veterans and Existential Psychotherapy.
IN THIS PARTICULAR EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- Aaron’s journey from the Marines to Veteran Mental Health
- Lack of conversation about purpose and meaning in veteran mental health
- Logotherapy and Viktor Frankl
- Identifying the future in order to deal with the past
- Three tenets of logotherapy: Freedom of Will, Will to Meaning, and Meaning of Life
- Veterans already have the knowledge to heal, they just need help to become aware of it
- Posttrauamtic Growth
- Veterans and awareness of their own mortality
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Man’s Search for Meaning: Viktor Frankl
The Doctor and the Soul: Viktor Frankl
Gift of Therapy: Irvin Yalom
Staring At The Sun: Irvin Yalom
Are You Just Starting on this series? Check out the first episode and all episodes as they’re released by going here
Want to keep up with all of the Head Space and Timing content? Subscribe Here
Using an app makes subscribing and listening to podcasts (both ours and others) so much simpler. Just subscribe to Head Space and Timing within your app and it will automatically update every time a new episode is released. You can also find all of the podcast players here.
Do you want to check out Duane’s latest book, Combat Vet Don’t Mean Crazy? Check it out by finding it on Amazon.