“Hammer Down” is an educational short documentary by former Army National Guard veterans Stan Lake and Daniel Charles, in association with Lima Charlie Productions and Deric Cook.
This film is an inspiring and thought-provoking look from soldier’s perspective. It explores the highs and lows of reconnecting with long-lost “battle buddies”, and civilian life in general, ten years after their return home.
See how these National Guard soldiers incorporated humor and filmed hilarious shenanigans “back in the day” while serving in Iraq as a way to cope with the stresses of war.
Follow Stan and Daniel on their adventure to track down and renew their friendships with their beloved comrades-in-arms. Through their own voices, these fellow brothers enlighten family, friends, and even other veterans why it’s important for soldiers to share their individual stories.
Stan and Daniel explore how they have “evolved” through their travels, and begin to grasp why it’s so important to reconnect after all these years. By sharing their own personal experiences and educating those that haven’t served in the military, we can see how this process can begin to heal those that have sacrificed it all for our freedoms here at home. Experience how the project ‘Hammer Down’ has unwittingly offered these particular soldiers and ex-soldiers the chance to engage in a new mission and purpose with brothers they would still lay down their lives for.
IN THIS PARTICULAR EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- Stan and Daniel’s background
- Serving with family members in the National Guard and Reserve components
- The shift between pre-9/11 and post-9/11 service
- The need for morale boosts in a combat zone
- Going from shenanigans in Iraq to a documentary about homecoming
- The message of the movie: “You’re Not Alone”
- Continuing the morale mission as veterans
- Struggle to find purpose and meaning in post-military life
- Combating the stereotype of the broken veteran
- A veteran’s love-hate relationship with combat
- Healing and not healing in the process of making the film
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Watch the full movie here: Hammer Down Web Site
The Hammer Down Trailer:
Stan’s Catching Creation Web site
Want to keep up with all of the Head Space and Timing content? Subscribe Here
Using an app makes subscribing and listening to podcasts (both ours and others) so much simpler. Just subscribe to Head Space and Timing within your app and it will automatically update every time a new episode is released. You can also find all of the podcast players here.
Do you want to check out Duane’s latest book, Combat Vet Don’t Mean Crazy? Check it out by finding it on Amazon.