There is one barrier to seeking mental health treatment that veterans seem to face. That barrier is often the one that is most difficult to overcome. It’s the barrier inside each of us, the internal stigma against seeking treatment. The whole “suck it up and drive on” mentality. The “I can handle this” mindset that binds us until we can’t handle it any more. So here are six warning signs that things are getting out of control.
In this episode, Duane talks about six things that he has seen in veterans that he works with that indicate that things are spinning out of control. If any of these things, or most of these things, are present in you or veterans in your network, find a mental health professional to talk to!
IN THIS PARTICULAR EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
Six signs that things are spinning out of control:
1. You just don’t give a crap anymore (about things you used to enjoy).
2. You just don’t give a crap anymore (about life in general).
3. You give too much of a crap about things (little things become huge).
4. Something in your life has more control over you than you have over it (like substance abuse).
5. Something in you has more control over you than you have over it (like emotions).
6. Someone else brings it to your attention (like a friend, family member…or the cops).
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Want to keep up with all of the Head Space and Timing content? Subscribe Here
Using an app makes subscribing and listening to podcasts (both ours and others) so much simpler. Just subscribe to Head Space and Timing within your app and it will automatically update every time a new episode is released. You can also find all of the podcast players here.
Do you want to check out Duane’s latest book, Combat Vet Don’t Mean Crazy? Check it out by finding it on Amazon.