In March, an Executive Order established the President’s Roadmap to Empower Veterans and End the National Tragedy of Suicide (PREVENTS). The Roadmap will include a National Research Strategy to advance efforts to improve quality of life and reduce the rate of suicide among veterans by better coordinating research within and beyond the Federal government, and enhancing the integration of research across the social, behavioral, and biological determinants of wellness and brain health.
We all want to stop suicide in the service member, veteran, and military affiliated community. To do so, we have to stop talking about it and do something; this is something that we can start doing. Please take the time to fill out this survey and share it with as many people as you know who are concerned about veteran suicide.
This survey will allow you to provide your answers to the following questions:
1. How can we improve our ability to identify individual veterans and groups of veterans at greater risk of suicide?
2. How can we develop and improve individual interventions that increase overall veteran quality of life and decrease the veteran suicide rate?
3. How can we develop strategies to better ensure the latest research discoveries are translated into practical applications and implemented quickly?
4. How best to establish relevant data-sharing protocols across Federal partners that align with community partners?
5. How should we draw upon technology to capture and use health data from non-clinical settings to advance behavioral and mental health research to the extent practicable?
6. How can we improve coordination among research efforts, prevent unnecessarily duplicative efforts, identify barriers to or gaps in research, and facilitate opportunities for improved consolidation, integration, and alignment?
7. How can we develop a public-private partnership model to foster collaborative, innovative, and effective research that accelerates these efforts?
For more information, see the VA Announcement on the release of the RFI
Please share this survey with your networks and provide as much information as possible about this critical subject.