At Beyond the Uniform, Justin Nassiri interviews military veterans about their civilian career. His goal is to provide both active duty members & veterans of the Armed Forces with the resources they need to be successful in their civilian career. Resources and podcasts can be viewed at www.BeyondTheUniform.io.
Justin is the Founder & CEO of StoryBox, and started Beyond the Uniform as a side project to help active duty military personnel. Justin is an ENFP who lives in San Francisco with his ENTJ wife (and inspiration) Rebecca and their ESFP dog Hemingway (Hemi).
Justin studied Electrical Engineering at the United States Naval Academy, where he received what’s been dubbed “a $200k education shoved up your [censored] a nickel at a time.” He also received the world’s finest education in leadership, serving as the Brigade Performance and Conduct Officer and the President of the Men’s Glee Club (note: as a result, Rebecca refers to herself as the First Lady).
Justin served as an officer with the incredible crew of the USS Alaska (SSBN 732) and for a far-too-brief time with the USS Chicago. This training was the single biggest asset to his experience as an entrepreneur, helping him break through walls, push himself beyond his limits, and occasionally fight giant squid and flirt with mermaids.
IN THIS PARTICULAR EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- Justin’s military background
- Justin’s point of view that miltiary transition is as much about the mindset than it is about the skillset
- The stigma that exists surrounding veteran mental health as the stigma of the broken veteran
- How to view veteran mental health through the lens of contribution
- The tendency for veterans to be action oriented, and how this might get in the way of solving problems
- The comfort zone of the veteran and how growth happens when we’re uncomfortable
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Want to keep up with all of the Head Space and Timing content? Subscribe Here
Using an app makes subscribing and listening to podcasts (both ours and others) so much simpler. Just subscribe to Head Space and Timing within your app and it will automatically update every time a new episode is released. You can also find all of the podcast players here.
Do you want to check out Duane’s latest book, Combat Vet Don’t Mean Crazy? Check it out by finding it on Amazon.