The mission of Veteranology is simple: Help veterans leaving active service experience healthy and fulfilling transitions into the civilian world. This is done by interviewing veterans who have found success in their new life outside of the military, individuals who have created service organizations and non-profits that serve the veteran community, and professionals deeply integrated into the backdrop of veteran life, such as doctors, lawyers, and case workers.
Jay is a Marine Corps veteran from Illinois, currently living in Denver, CO. He served with 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines as a machine gunner. He left the service as a sergeant and attended Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, graduating with a BS in Economics. A few months after graduating he led a project called Pax2Pax, a bicycle ride across the country in honor of Lance Corporal Johnny Strong, a marine who had been killed in Iraq on a patrol Knight was leading. Knight’s team raised over $20,000 for charity. He now hosts Veteranology, a podcast which serves veterans by sharing the stories of vets who have found healthy and fulfilling lives after leaving the service.
IN THIS PARTICULAR EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- Jay’s transition out of the service and his bike ride across the U.S., which he called the “biggest band-aid he needed,” as well as the realization of how important it is to tell his story
- The importance of building trust in a veteran sharing their story, or helping a veteran to share their story
- Thoughts about finding a new identity after leaving the service
- Jay’s thoughts on the epidemic of veteran suicide
- Finding a way to get to the root of psychological problems through any means possible, including art therapy and volunteering
- Some thoughts on the challenges of being an “angry vet” on social media
- Thriving in spite of challenges and disabilities
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
We would love to hear your feedback on the Change Your POV Podcast Network! Give us anonymous feedback by filling out this short survey here
You can be sure to find future episodes of Head Space and Timing, and all of the CYPOV Podcast Network Shows, by subscribing through your Podcast player of choice, like iTunes.
Using an app makes subscribing and listening to podcasts (both ours and others) so much simpler. Just subscribe to Change Your POV Podcast within your app and it will automatically update every time a new episode is released.
Please Leave a Review on iTunes – Learn How Here.
Would you like to be a guest on Head Space and Timing? Follow This Link.