Bryan Doerries is a Brooklyn-based writer, director, and translator, who currently serves as Artistic Director of Theater of War Productions. A self-described evangelist for classical literature and its relevance to our lives today, Doerries uses age-old approaches to help individuals and communities heal from trauma and loss.
Doerries is a proud graduate of Kenyon College and serves as a board member of the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers and Friends of the Young Writers Workshop. Among his awards, Doerries has received an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Kenyon College, and in March 2017, he was named Public Artist in Residence (PAIR) for the City of New York, a joint appointment with the New York City Department of Veterans’ Services and Department of Cultural Affairs. During this two-year residency, he will bring more than 60 Theater of War Productions projects to diverse communities across all five boroughs.
IN THIS PARTICULAR EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- How Bryan took his own personal experiences and education in ancient literature and developed a program that helped service members and veterans to come to terms with what they’ve experienced
- The development of the Theater of War project, including personal stories about the impact it has had on individual service members
- The need for those who have never served to reach out and understand those who have served, and the need for those who have served to be willing to help others to understand
- “Bridging the gap” in understanding between those who have served and those who have not
- How Theater of War is like “speaking truth to power,” both literally in the sense that it brings the discussion of veteran mental health to those who had not previously considered it, but also speaking truth to the power of stigma against veteran mental health
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
We would love to hear your feedback on the Change Your POV Podcast Network! Give us anonymous feedback by filling out this short survey here
You can be sure to find future episodes of Head Space and Timing, and all of the CYPOV Podcast Network Shows, by subscribing through your Podcast player of choice, like iTunes.
Using an app makes subscribing and listening to podcasts (both ours and others) so much simpler. Just subscribe to Change Your POV Podcast within your app and it will automatically update every time a new episode is released.
Please Leave a Review on iTunes – Learn How Here.