HST 006: 8 Things a Therapist Wants a Veteran to Know
In this episode, Duane talks about his experience both as a combat veteran and a clinical mental health counselor, and outlines eight things that he believes that mental health professionals want a veteran to know before working with them.
This is the second podcast in a two-part series that looks at removing some misconceptions about mental health treatment. In the first episode, Duane talked about eight things that a veteran might want a mental health professional to know; in this episode, Duane talks about eight things that a mental health professional wants a veteran to know about the therapy process. Understanding the expectations of each will benefit both.
IN THIS PARTICULAR EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
The eight things a therapist wants a veteran to know are:
1. This isn’t about Freud on the couch.
2. This stuff actually works.
3. You’re going to have to talk about what’s bothering you…
4. …and it’s not as bad as you think it’s going to be.
5. It’s not all about pills and meds.
6. I actually know what I’m talking about.
7. I’m not going to give you advice or tell you what to do.
8. If you and I don’t click, then let me help you find someone you do click with.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
You can be sure to find future episodes of Head Space and Timing, and all of the CYPOV Podcast Network Shows, by subscribing through your Podcast player of choice, like iTunes.
Using an app makes subscribing and listening to podcasts (both ours and others) so much simpler. Just subscribe to Change Your POV Podcast within your app and it will automatically update every time a new episode is released.
Please Leave a Review on iTunes – Learn How Here.