This podcast is the FIRST of a new show on the Change Your POV Podcast Network: Head Space and Timing! This episode will be focused on Veteran Mental Health and Wellness, and your host, Duane France, talks about his journey from combat veteran to clinical mental health counselor and some his thoughts on Veteran Mental Health.
Whether you are a Veteran, are a family member of one, or interact with veterans in any way, you will find something in the Head Space and Timing Podcast for you. A critical aspect of a veteran’s transition from the military to their post-military lives is their mental health and mindset, and Head Space and Timing will be able to help you build awareness of how to find stability and peace!
IN THIS PARTICULAR EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- How a 22 year Army veteran with no clinical mental health experience becomes a clinical mental health counselor
- An introduction to the different types of mental health professionals that a veteran may work with
- 10 thoughts on Veteran Mental Health, including:
- Mental health and wellness is as an essential part of our military transition as employment, housing, everything else
- Not all veterans have Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- The challenges that veterans face go beyond PTSD and TBI
- You don’t have to be crazy to talk to a mental health professional
- Military service is an entirely different life, and that means an entirely different culture
- Any mental health professional working with a veteran should understand that culture in order to provide the most benefit
- Veterans want people to understand their story, but they don’t want to have to tell people about it
- Perpetuating the stigma against seeking mental health counseling is causing veterans to prolong their pain, not reduce it
- There is no need to suffer in silence or keep it as a shameful secret
- Veteran suicide is an epidemic, is highly personal, very complicated, and (in my opinion) unnecessary
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
You can be sure to find future episodes of Head Space and Timing, and all of the CYPOV Podcast Network Shows, by subscribing through your Podcast player of choice, like iTunes.
Using an app makes subscribing and listening to podcasts (both ours and others) so much simpler. Just subscribe to Change Your POV Podcast within your app and it will automatically update every time a new episode is released.
Please Leave a Review on iTunes – Learn How Here.